Re: [lro] Brake Fluid Myths & Legends?

From: Rick Grant (rickgrant@telus.net)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 22:06:56 EST

    Paul Quin wrote
    >Is the glycol Vs mineral oil story a myth? Or do I have my facts mixed up
    >(as often happens) and is there some other bad chemical in regular brake
    >fluid, that eats Land Rover rubber?

    I can't help on that Paul but this whole brake fluid business comes up
    here, as you probably well remember, about once every year and a half and
    goes for days. The only reason I mention that is that someone earlier
    today, (I lost the post), asked about how to go about searching the
    archives. I don't think there is a reasonable way of searching the
    archives but if there was the answer would be quick to find.

    And now for a brake fluid confession.

    I replaced all of the brake components on my Series II, with the exception
    of the master cylinder, about six years ago. I refilled with straight from
    the tap Canadian Tire Generic DOT3. I've drained and refilled the system
    once a year since and I haven't noticed any degradation in the seals. Of
    course, who knows what will happen tomorrow when I try to stop.

    As for that double damned swine of a master cylinder, I had a devil of a
    time bleeding it after the rebuild until I hit on a happy combination of
    front end raised on ordinary wheel ramps, a home made pressurization system
    consisting of a bicycle inner tube, and a hand operated vacuum pump for the
    bleed nipples. Single pump brakes after each bleeding, I swear.

                                              Rick Grant
                                            1959 SII 88"
                                            VORIZO

    Calgary Alberta