[lro] Brake Fluid Myths & Legends?

From: Paul Quin (pquin@shaw.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 18:34:25 EST

    I've spent the day replacing the brake pads and having the drums machined on
    my '61 88 SII.

    Everythings adjusted up properly but the pedal is still spongey. I Probably
    have the usual bubble of air up in the 'CB' type M/C.

    The brake fluid is 6 years old so I thought I might as well book an
    appointment with the local brake shop to power blead the air and old fluid
    out with new fluid. I told the front desk guy (who does know a little bit
    about Rovers) the story about only using Castrol LMA fluid as others can
    damage the rubber seals etc in the system. I mentioned that Castrol is
    Glycol based as opposed to some that are mineral based. He snorted a bit
    and said that all brake fluid is glycol based except for some special case
    Audi fluids.

    Is the glycol Vs mineral oil story a myth? Or do I have my facts mixed up
    (as often happens) and is there some other bad chemical in regular brake
    fluid, that eats Land Rover rubber?

    TIA,

    Paul in Victoria.