[lro] Wheeling a 109

From: Alden John (JAlden@spaceimaging.com)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 16:51:40 EST

    <snip>Hey all,

    Anyone wheel their 109 and take digital pix? I know Bill Rice has and look
    forward to his comments. I have just gotten my 109 3-door ex-military and
    want to know what real limitations I am going to experience over a 100"
    Disco
    or RR. I know the rear is much longer, but does the height of the 2"
    military
    shackle extensions amount to anything?

    Planning to tow her up to the mountains in a couple of weekends. Flat tow,
    that is, without front and rear prop shafts connected. By the way, anything
    should be wary of when flat towing like this?<snip>

    I wheel her, not as much as I would like but I am getting there. I do not
    have any pictures but Keith Tanner, and Jim "Foo" Hall (Hi Keith and Jim)
    have some shots of her from our trip to Moab.
    Yes the rear overhang is a concern but if you rememer that it is there and
    plan accordingly (take the dips at a diagonal instead of straight on) you
    will not hit/ drap much. After I broke one tank (rear SW location, is yours
    there?) the replacement had a "second skin" armor on it and I have thought
    about building further protection for it. I also removed the drop ball tow
    hitch that I had and put the ball back on upside down as a "low point" for
    departure.
    As you can see by compairing the shots of Bills vs mine hardened sills are
    quite desireable (I beat mine up pretty badly in Moab last fall :( ). I
    would also like to get a locker in the rear.
    The only problems that I had (other than operator stupidity) was when
    successive obsticles were 109" apart and I then got a wheel on each axle
    spinning (this is where the locker is needed).
    The longer shackles probably help and you should do parabollics if possible
    to improve the travel of the wheels (that is a whole other subject there)
    Why tow it? Drive it, that is why they are built that way :), the trailer
    queen disease is as bad in wheeling as it is in classic cars (no offense
    intended just ranting). I have never done a flat tow.

    Cheers
    John, Mehetabel, & Priscilla
    '73 109" 6 cyl County Land Rover
    '03 Mini Cooper S BRG with Checkerboard Roof

    message and its attachments and notify Space Imaging immediately.