Re: [lro] Wheeling a 109

From: William J. Rice (jarvis64@juno.com)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 09:09:36 EST

    Ron,
    The only reason I really worry about dropping the 109s rear end coming
    off ledges is that it's a SW and therefore has the fuel tank there. If
    yours is a 109 reg. you shouldn't have that worry. I've dropped mine
    pretty hard and not damaged anything at the rear end. If you go slowly
    enough--easing off ledges w/ the wheels almost locked, you can easily
    scrape off anything w/ no damage. I went off some really tall drops at
    Moab.

    Speaking of Moab I was only limited there by my own fear (visions of once
    again rolling the truck, this time off of that 200 ft. drop to my
    left--man, once that's happened unexpectedly the trauma can last and
    last), and my engine (ahem--pontiac). I think my engine was running too
    lean for the altitude there (much lower than CO) but I just don't know
    for sure. All I know is that it bogged down on more than one steep face.

    Though military shackles and frame look super-groovy they can't have much
    affect on the breakover angle and departure angle. They do, of course,
    add a bit of regular ol' clearance, but angles are tough to change w/o
    chopping the ass of the truck off.

    That said, you can neatly get off lots and lots of ledges by taking them
    at an angle. Get the front wheels off going straight, then just turn and
    let your rear wheels take it at an angle. Not always possible, but often
    possible and quite beneficial. I did some trails at Tellico a few years
    ago and, though I doubt I did any of the crazy tough ones, I don't think
    I had any problems on the trails I did do, which were not the easy ones,
    and were done in the company of a lot of very tricked-out (and
    occasionally very stuck) D-90s with very surprised owners (who really
    were just not very talented drivers).

    bill, wishing it would warm up soon.