Re: [lro] Wheeling a 109

From: Stephen West-Fisher (steve@coastaldatasystems.com)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 10:47:40 EST

    Jean-Leon Morin wrote:
    > Limitations? Over a coiler? Off-road???
    >
    > I'd say, on a level playing field (stock VS stock) the series will run
    > circles (albeit really big ones) around a rangie or disco. A series off-road
    > becomes a beautiful thing. For a 109 it all depends on the conditions,
    > though... In tight trails you'll be taking you time, but the series body is
    > narrower, and it's pretty easy to squeak past trees. In most any other
    > conditions the overhang is pretty easy to deal with. The rear quarter past
    > the back wheel gets mashed often, but that's easy to avoid if you take it
    > easy.

    Depends upon conditions. Down here in loose sand, the Rangie/Disco has an
    advantage in traction control over a stock series. The Rangie/Disco
    driver can be
    sipping a cup of tea in the AC while the Series driver needs both hands
    on the
    wheel moving it back and forth to keep a grip on the sand. Should this
    occur at the top of a "hill"
    or "dune", the series driver will find himself backing down and looking
    for a new route :-)
    Installation of some form of limited slip will resolve this difficulty.

    --
    Stephen West-Fisher
    Coastal Data Systems