Re: [lro] Project Salisburly

From: Keith Kreutzer (keith_kreutzer@msn.com)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 23:10:40 EST

    Experience!!! Damn we broke to 50 ton presses trying to get the tubes back
    into the diff housing on a 14 bolt!!!!! Any little bit of crooked and you're
    screwed!!!.. An easier way is to do it out on the ends.. I've done it this
    way on Jeeps and other silly Extreme trucks for quite a few years...
    Once i got into LR's it thought the novel approach of bolting the spindles
    onto a flange was a great idea!!!!... The reason for the 14 bolt hubs was so
    i could use stock 3/4 backing plates and attach the GM disc's to the back of
    the 14 bolt hubs PLUS allow room for 35 spline axles... I'll send you a
    couple pics but they're big...
    What I've done to other recent axles it to make a couple flanges the pilot
    into each other of course and bolt together... Make one to fit the tube on
    the 60 and the other fits the spindle (that you turned up round in that
    lathe) I've been making them so the front face of the "spindle flange" also
    has the bolt pattern for the GM backing plate, careful measurement should
    provide an exact fit for the brakes... I normally do the "spindle flange"
    finish work like the mounting face, pilot and bolt patterns after I've
    welded it to the spindle as things can move around allot on something that
    small so leave yourself extra stock on the outer flange...