[lro] Re: Violent Steering Shake

From: C. Marin Faure (cmfaure@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 13:27:04 EST

    Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 18:13:47 -0700
    From: "ynotink" <ynotink@qwest.net>
    To: lro@koan.team.net
    Subject: Re: [lro] Violent Steering Shake

    >I vote for the panhard rod bushings.

    It could be these bushings. However, I've learned that when they
    wear out or get sloppy, the symptom is not violent shaking, but a slight
    directional change in the vehicle when you accelerate or decelerate. This
    is because the torque being transmitted to the axle tries to pivot the
    axle. This force is countered by the rods and their bushings. When the
    bushings wear out, the torque change caused by acceleration or deceleration
    pivots the axle a bit, and the front (or rear) tracks to one side for a
    moment. In the back, it's a bit like rear-wheel steering. Not
    particularly dangerous unless you let it get way out of hand, but
    definitely disconcerting.

    This happened to our Range Rover after about 50K miles, and at the same
    time I just happened to read in Land Rover Owner magazine an article by a
    manufacturer of aftermarket suspension parts in the UK about this exact
    phenomenon and what caused it. So I ordered a set of their bushings,
    installed them, and almost 100K miles later we have yet to have the problem
    return. Unfortunately, this manufacturer no longer seems to be in
    business, so I assume their "special" bushings, which they made by mofiying
    factory bushings, are no longer available.

    The rest of the suspension bushings on our '91 are all original, alhough I
    have a set of new bushings to install someday-I know the vehicle will
    benefit greatly from getting new bushings, but it's a time issue. We did
    have some wandering and occasional steering shake problems awhile back, but
    that turned out to be a worn tie rod end, which I replaced as that was
    getting potentially dangerous.

    I would assume that the same symptoms would apply to the Discovery SI and
    the coil-spring Defender- I believe they all share more or less then same
    components and geometry as the Range Rover classic.

    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE