Re: [lro] Death Wobble on a Rangie/110 type?

From: C. Marin Faure (cmfaure@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 13:00:48 EST

    From: "Alan J. Richer" <mrchurchill109@yahoo.com>
    To: lro@koan.team.net
    Subject: [lro] Death Wobble on a Rangie/110 type?

    >Had my RR doing this - replaced the steering damper and it
    got worse (frighteningly so). FOund and replaced a bogus
    tie-rod end - havent had the guts to take it up on the
    highway since to find out if that did it. Opinions?

    The steering geometry on a Range Rover (and the Discovery and maybe the
    newer Defenders) is a lot different than the Series. For one thing, the
    Range Rover has toe-out instead of toe-in on the front wheels. It is
    pretty impressive what an even slightly worn tie rod end can do to the
    handling of the vehicle. If you found a loose tie rod end and replaced it,
    the chances are pretty good that was your problem. I've had the shake
    problem once on the Range Rover, found a worn tie rod end, replaced it, end
    of problem. I'm not saying that's for absolutely sure that was your
    problem, because there are a lot of factors that can screw up the steering
    geometry. But if you actually found a bad tie rod end, the chances are
    good you've solved the problem. It's a mistake to assume the same "rules"
    apply to the steering geometry of a Range Rover (and probably the newer
    Land Rover vehicles as well) that apply to a Series. The geometry and the
    characteristics, and thus the way they affect handling, are considerably
    different.

    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88