[lro] Re: Violent Steering Shake

From: C. Marin Faure (cmfaure@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 12:53:15 EST

    From: Patrick Parsons <patrickparsons@hawaii.rr.com>
    To: LRO List <lro@koan.team.net>
    Subject: [lro] Violent Steering Shake

    >Driving down the road in a 2000 D110 Tdi, the steering wheel will jerk side
    to side violently, and it seems as if the front axle is bouncing up and
    down....It isn't
    as if the whole truck is shaking side to side in the lane. When it happened
    to them they were just going down the road at 50+Km/H, no pothole that they
    felt. Any ideas? I told my dad to check the tie-rod ends and next I'll
    suggest a new steering dampener.

    If the D110 is full-time 4wd, the chances are that the front wheels require
    toe-out, rather than toe-in. This is the case on the Range Rover classic.
    With this steering geometry, the steering damper becomes a pretty essential
    item. On Series vehicles, a damper can help reduce steering wheel "whip"
    if your front wheel whangs into a rock or something on the trail, but it
    isn't needed during normal driving. On the Range Rover, it is. So if the
    D110 is similar, I would look into the condition of the damper. It won't
    take much to get the steering shaking if the damper is shot- a "wallow" in
    the road can do it. Also, as you suggested, the condition of the tie-rod
    ends can make a big difference to the way the suspension reacts to things.

    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE