[lro] Roverdrive vs. High Ratio Transfer Box

From: KURT W. KRAUSS (kwkrauss@knlaw.net)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 11:13:12 EST

    Because I was the original post on this topic, thought I'd follow up.
     First, many thanks for the observations on overdrive vs. hi-ratio
    t-boxes. My '73 NAS SIII is dead stock - 2.25 petrol, 15 inch wheels,
    leaded head and 18,800 original miles. All smog equipment is intact, as
    is the Zenith carb, and true to original test drives, it IS a bit
    "sluggish" - more so than, say the average SII. I don't have plans to
    "hop it up." It resides in fairly hilly country - Manchester Vermont,
    where it is infrequently used.
    Judging by the comments, especially TerryAnn's remarks, I'm inclined to
    go for the Roverdrive for those times I want to drive it on the
    interstate. I still am unclear, however, whether the installation would
    involve any cutting or drilling of the truck (e.g. transmission tunnel)
    to accomodate the lever to engage the overdrive. Where does it sprout
    from?
    Kurt W. Krauss
    1973 NAS SIII
    2000 Discovery SII