Re: [lro] roverdrive

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2003 - 22:27:55 EST

    On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, at 03:43 PM, Keith Tanner wrote:

    > I wonder just what I have to do offroad to need lower gearing?

    Been there, bounced from rock top to rock top and came to a halt in
    long steep grades whilst in low first and the throttle floored.
    Climbing long real steep grades can run the engine out of torque. Esp
    if you are doing it a high altitude. Backing down can be a bitch if it
    is technical.
    The approx 40:1 low ratio is way high for rock crawling unless you like
    hoping from rock top to rock top.

    > So far, haven't had a problem and that includes some fairly serious
    > stuff in Moab.

    Most slip rock & deep sand doesn't require lower gearing. But series
    gearing is just high for crawling over a bunch of big rocks. For what
    it's worth I think 55:1 is about ideal for low range first using a
    series engine.

    TeriAnn J. Wakeman
    Santa Cruz, California
    twakeman@cruzers.com

    http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

    The sign in the back window reads "Don't follow me. You won't make it"