Re: [lro] OT - British Registration Letters

From: Frank Elson (frank.elson@ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 14:28:46 EST

    Rick,
     I posted a full explanation of British reg letters and numbers on this list
    a while ago.
     Can dig it out and send it to you personally if you want it.

    As a UK journalist (some would disagree) I can have a go at answering the
    rest of your query.

    We are not allowed to write a lot of things in this country (a lot less than
    you lot get away with) when certain crimes are even suspected. Even less
    when someone has been charged or arrested.
     Therefore, we often get a case which is very important, or high profile but
    are struggling to write enough words to fill the space in the paper that the
    story 'justifies', hence the jacket they are wearing, the tie etc. It all
    helps to fill up.
    In this case, also, a 'K' reg Volvo (actually a convertible - forget the US
    term, is it drophead?) which was shown on the TV, is something of an
    expensive car for a 22 year old probationer (above cadet but not yet a full
    bobby) to own, so there's an implied criticism there.
    BTW, they've been found and he's been arrested 'on suspicion' of abducting
    the girl (yeah, right). To show how stupid our laws are, when they were just
    missing, his name was given. Now the Police can only say that 'a 22-year-old
    man has been arrested'... a TV reporter just ( literally a few minutes ago)
    said 'of course we know who he is'. That reporter broke the law although it
    is unlikely he will be charged for it, but he could be.

    sorry for the long reply folks.

    Best Cheers

    Reverend Frank