Re: [lro] Roverdrive vs. High Ratio Transfer Box

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 10:19:45 EST

    > OK - last week I wrote to the board for impressions on Roverdrive. I
    > called Rovers North and they said they had a few units for sale, but
    > decided the better option was the high ratio transfer box, so that's
    > what they're selling now. Any opinion as to what I should install in
    > my '73 NAS Series III? The two systems appear to cost about the same.

    I think the factory did an excellent job of matching series gearing to
    the engine. The Ashcroft kit raises the high range to be almost
    identical to replacing the 4.7 diffs with 3.54 diffs. You can get away
    with that if you run a bare bones 88 on the flatlands near sea level.
    But an Ashcroft conversion has no business on a 109 or an 88 used in
    mountain terrain or at altitude (unless you enjoy double clutching
    down to second or first gear on inclines). 2.25 engines are well
    matched to stock gearing and an overdrive with the ability to split
    gears makes all the difference in the world at altitude or in mountains.

    Add 50% or more HP to the Land Rover and suddenly the Ashcroft kit
    becomes the preferred option. But if you are sticking with the 2.25L
    boat anchor, get thee a Roverdrive.

    I believe Wise Owl, Atlantic British, British Pacific and Rovers North
    carry them in North America.
    TeriAnn J. Wakeman
    Santa Cruz, California
      http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

    A member of the internet community since 1985.