Re: [lro] OT - British Registration Letters

From: Phil Norris (pr.norris@ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 04:50:48 EST

    yes, the UK _is_ obsessed with the age of it's cars...!!
    Frank will correct me, I'm sure, but here's an amateurs take on
    proceedings....
    Initially there were plates with three letters followed by three numbers. I
    think it was the last two of the leters showed the registration town, so the
    Police could, at a glance, tell where the car was from. Pretty rapidly they
    ran out of numbers ( well, by the late fifties anyway) so introduced an
    extra letter at the end that indicated year.
    So you get ABC123A. This was purely and simply to chop up the numbering
    sequence and allow for expansion AFAIK. However, At the time, our car
    industry was, and still is, fairly slow on model updates, so the same
    looking car was produced for a number of years. I gather that Detroit at
    the time was introducing different models yearly.... The only way to pull a
    bit of one-up-manship was to have the same looking car but with the latest
    plate for the year, introduced on the first of August every year.
    Consequently car sales were low for the preceding few months then peaked
    madly on that day. Garages opened at midnight for people to collect their
    new cars and have them on the drive for the morning to go to work in and
    park in the carpark.... In typical British fashion you didn't make a fuss
    about a new car, just let everyone notice the plate......
    Certain letters are not used as they look like numbers, Ie I Q and O, V not
    U etc so they ran out after around twenty years. Then the system was
    reversed so we had A123ABC. Same old system again certain numbers indicated
    the area of registering, the 1st letter was the year numbers were arbitrary
    AFAIK. This happened in the early 80s.
    Yet again they ran out of letters, but wanted to introduce a whole new
    system so the last few years were doubled up new letters appearing in March
    as well as August. Started at S IIRC so the late 90s had years of ST then
    VW, etc.
    Now we have AA 01ABC, where AA is the registering town indicator, 01 is the
    year and the ABC is the random bit. Just to ad a certain frisson to the
    proceedings the 01 can also be 51 02/52 03/53 indicating August or March
    respectively, 01 was August, 51 was the following March, O2 was the
    following August etc etc etc......
    Add in the Q suffix meaning a kitcar or bitsa, all the messing with spaces
    to make anity plates ie V 8 LRO etc etc A 110 LWB or whatever and it can get
    really silly!!
    IIRC Franks lists were of the year suffixs and registration towns, so in
    theory you can find when and where your vehicle was 1st registered. However
    the introduction of the system back in the 60s was irregular and
    inconsistent across the counties so doesn't tie in properly...
    Clear as mud!!
    PhilN