[lro] Rochester Top-Speed Improvement-Station Wagon Issue

From: John M. Baker (jmbaker@bkk2.loxinfo.co.th)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 07:18:28 EST

    The other day I was travelling back from central Bangkok (ugh) on an elevated
    expressway and found that on a level stretch with nil or very slight tail wind
    my Rochester-equiped 109 could do 120 km/hr. With the Zenith I had installed
    my max speed was 100 kms/hr. I have a 7:0 head and was told not to expect any
    improvement in speed. Perhaps 120 is normal and my old carb was that bad, I
    don't know, but at any rate I like the results. My mileage is exactly the
    same, a dismal 11.25 mpg, but much of my driving is stop and go so perhaps
    highway would be a bit better. I may be running a tad rich (51jet) so I will
    be experimenting with leaner jets some day. I have an Ashcroft and I am happy
    to cruise at 90-100, but it is nice to know there is some more oomph there if
    needed.

    BTW, my 109 5 door appeared to have come with head and door lining and tire on
    the rear door, and seats for 12, but no station wagon tag, just the normal
    metal one.

    John
    Bangkok
    1975 SIII 109 2.25 Petrol