[lro] Re: station wagon badges

From: C. Marin Faure (cmfaure@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 23:35:04 EST

    From: "Frank Elson" <frank.elson@ntlworld.com>
    To: <lro@koan.team.net>
    Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:58:53 -0000
    Subject: [lro] station wagon badges

    >There was some discussion on the list a while back about the 'Four Wheel
    Drive Station Wagon' badge that fitted under the standard Land Rover rear
    badge on the Series. Can't remember who brought it up but I said I bought
    one not a year or so ago from a Land Rover dealer. Whoever, said you can
    only get a larger tacky plastic all-in-one these days. He was right. I must
    have got one of the very last of the metal ones...

    That might have been me. Or not. But I had mentioned on the list awhile
    back that I had contacted a breakers yard in the UK who was willing to go
    out and drill out the rivets on a "Station Wagon" badge from a wrecked
    Series. At that time, the only new Station Wagon badges I could locate in
    the US from people like Rovers North were the thicker variety used on the
    Defender. Rovers North told me that the then-current badges were metal and
    looked the same as far as the lettering and shape, but they were thicker
    and had crisper edges than the original badges used on the Series, and so
    didn't really match up very well. It doesn't surprise me that the Station
    Wagon badge today is made of plastic. On the other hand, so is the grill
    on my Series III.....

    Speaking of SIIIs, if one has an 88 "Hardtop Deluxe," the only version
    imported to the US in 1973-4, and you want to put a "Station Wagon" badge
    on it, you'll have a bit of a problem to solve. For whatever reason-
    perhaps the placement of the backup lights- the factory mounted the Land
    Rover oval badge a bit lower than on other or earlier models, which puts a
    large rivet head just below it where the Station Wagon badge would mount.

    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE