RE: [lro] Rochester Carb Installation

From: Tackley, John (jtackley@dit.state.va.us)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 12:20:00 EST

    Paul asked some ?s:

    >My Zenith has two vacuum ports at its base. One goes to the vacuum advance
    >on the dizzy, the other goes to the PCV. The Rochester only has one vacuum
    >port at the base. My assumption is to use a "T fitting" to reattach the two
    >hoses onto the base of the Rochester. Is this sound?

    Yes...alternatively you could drill and tap the intake manifold for a proper sized hose barb.

    >Second, I've always wondered where the "port" on the crankcase cap should be
    >hooked up to. It looks like it should have a hose connected to it. My PCV
    >hose attaches to the oil filler tube (about half way down).

    On a SIII there should be a nipple on the side of the metal portion of the carb-to-air cleaner hose. Attach the breather hose there. It's purpose is to take fumes from the head region and re-burn them by feeding the intake. The tube from the oil filler, which vents crankcase fumes, connects to the PCV valve. Alternatively you could eliminate the PCV and extend the hose(s) to some safe location behind the engine to allow the fumes to just escape to the atmosphere, (but don't tell the EPA I said so). Some LROs have been known to feed this hose into the frame...where it acts as a self-oiling rust preventer. If you don't take that route, terminate the hose end with a suitable small clamp on air filter (check your local motorcycle shop), and keep it high enough to prevent the entry of water during deep wading.

    A 2.25 w/Roch carb will benefit greatly from the increased flow rates that a K&N or other aftermarket air filter can provide for on-road use, as the Roch can flow up to 165cfm, compared to the 137 or so the Zenith flows. On the highway the oil bath can be a bit restrictive at cruising speeds. I'd recommend though, that you retain the oil bath for off-road use/dusty conditions.

    JT/ric