[lro] my 6 cylinder

From: John Hess (jfhess@dcn.davis.ca.us)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 10:48:50 EST

    Hiya,

    The 6 in my Dormie, is the minimum I would like in a Dormie. As
    TeriAnn points out, it pulls better than the 4 and the power increase
    gives it just enough to tackle things in gear and not gear down. I
    gear split with the OD and the worst hills are 3rd gear. Most are 4th,
    some 3rd OD. 4th OD is for little hills in the road, not real
    mountains.

    Yes, I think the 6 failed because folks didn't adjust the valves. It's
    a pain. In the current gas situation, unleaded valves are not
    available, but your local machine shop can help you out with hardened
    inserts of maybe custom valves? I have hardened inserts and stock
    valves. My engine was rebuilt a few years back and all the parts were
    readily available from Dingo (UK)

    The Euro 6 has a one piece intake/head. The Westlake head on early
    Rover cars is the same as on Land Rovers, 2 piece intake/head.

    cheers,

    John F. Hess, Davis California jfhess@dcn.davis.ca.us
    Land Rover Dormobile web pages:
    http://wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us/~jfhess/homepage.html
    1968 Land Rover Dormobile "Elvis" 1960 Land Rover 88 PU "Stubby"
    1966 Mercury Monterey "Tillie"
    mine: 1999 Bianchi Milano, 2001 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Merlin Extra Fat,
    ours:2002 Meridian Attache Softride Tandem