Re: [lro] OT- SUV rollover incident

From: John Cranfield (john.cranfield@ns.sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 10:32:28 EST

    Rick Grant wrote:

    > This has nothing to do specifically with Land-Rovers per se but it is about
    > SUV's and driving ability.
    >
    > This morning in southern Alberta is was about -20 when we took our Subaru

                                                    Rick Grant

    If it is story time I will relate a close call tale that occurred on my
    way to Winter Romp.
    Old Muddy and I had had a pleasant and uneventful journey from Nova
    Scotia as far as Bangor, Maine, (name a #1 hit song that mentions
    Bangor, Maine?)
    I was continuing along route 9 toward Unity and approaching the crest of
    one of the rolling hills on that stretch of road. Suddenly a Truck minus
    its trailer slid across the road from a side road that was a sheet of
    ice.
    This required me to brake very sharply but the car that was rapidly
    catching up with Muddy couldn't get slowed and whistled past. Normally
    that would have been merely dangerous on the crest of hill but this time
    it was very nearly suicidal. The truck was 3/4 of the way to blocking
    the entire road.
    The car driver steered left to miss the truck. The car ran up the hard
    snow bank attaining an angle of about 45 degrees and squeezed by the
    truck with inches between the roof of the car and the bumper of the
    truck.
    The driver of the car seemed oblivious of the danger as he sped away but
    the truck driver looked decidedly white as I passed him shortly after.
    But as someone famous once wrote "all's well that ends well"
    John and Muddy