[lro] Front layshaft bearing

From: William J. Rice (jarvis64@juno.com)
Date: Thu Feb 20 2003 - 23:53:29 EST

    Well I'm putting this gearbox back together, and it's like I've never
    done it before, which ain't the case.

    After testing everything out I silicone the bellhousing, put it in place,
    and tighten the four bolts. Mainshaft and layshaft locked. Crap.
    Fiddle around and then realize I need to pull the bellhousing. Pull it,
    wipe off all silicone.

    I make sure the layshaft's seated properly, put the bellhousing back on
    (this time w/o silicone!) and tighten the bolts. Same thing. Layshaft's
    binding. The only thing that's changed in that dept. since I last had
    this 'box together is the front layshaft bearing, which I had a friendly
    shop press in.

    THE QUESTION:
    It looks like the front layshaft bearing can be in a range of positions
    in the bellhousing--it's just between those two retainer plates, but on
    mine there appears to be a little space between the front of the outer
    race and the the front part of the "retainer sandwich." Should I try to
    move the bearing forward?

    Should I grind down (emery cloth on glass) the conical washer behind the
    layshaft bearing?

    comments greatly appreciated.

    bill