[lro] LWB Series III or SIIa?

From: Simon Harding (sjharding@schulte-law.com)
Date: Thu Feb 20 2003 - 18:03:16 EST

    I sent a reply but it was moderated due to my change in email address, so my
    apologies if this post appears twice as to substance, though not form, since
    I am typing it again after re-subbing.

    I have a SIII 109SW, and I dislike the plastic dash. Intensely. It cuts
    off airflow from the vents very effectively. It looks cheap and cheesy and
    some of the parts can and do break with little provocation. The door liners
    are water traps. I removed mine. They are jammed under my workbench.
    Complete set. Anyone want em?

    I looked into converting the bulkhead, since it was a very sound BH, into a
    SII style by stripping it down and having a parcel shelf from a cancered out
    SIIA BH spliced on. Even though my engine transplant plans required removal
    of the BH, for modificatiuons to accomodate the new engine as well as
    galvanizing, the PITA factor and costs nixed modifying the old BH. So I am
    having a SIIA BH repaired, and altered as needed for my engine transplant,
    and galvanized. Having the SIIA BH repaired worked out easier and I think,
    cheaper., and has the added benefit of stronger hinges for the windscreen.

    A SIII transmission is weaker, but it has synchro. For many, the weaker
    transmission will never add up to anything. For some, it will. For some,
    the lack of synchro in a SIIA transmission is a factor, but for most it is
    not. I'd buy either, and if I had the SIII, upgrade to the IIA if I didn't
    mind double clutching.

    Were I you, I'd shoot for a SIIA 109 and convert it to the SIII brake
    master. That would be a nice rig. But underpowered.

    All of this is coming from a heretic who thinks 109s with a 2.25 are
    inherently dangerous and very uncomfortable for long drives, due to poor
    power. I dumped my 2.25 and the rover transmission in favor of a stronger,
    more powerful and reliable combination.

    Simon