[lro] Metric

From: William L Leacock (roverbilly@juno.com)
Date: Thu Feb 20 2003 - 16:25:37 EST

    >So I guess Britain went metric sometime after '72 and before '84.

    When I started in the drawing office in the UK in 1964, my first job was
    metrication of drawings for a new range of electric motors. Changing the
    thread standard from Whitworth to metric. In 1968 I moved to the
    aircraft industry and went back to the inch series (unified) then in 1979
    I moved to the automotive industry and changed back to metric, then in
    1994 I moved to the US and changed to inch equivalents of metric
    dimensions, since all the big US car companies have been metric for a
    while, unlike many other US industries.
     The metric system was introduced in the UK over a long period of time,
    and is still not universal. Some industries were metric in the mid
    sixties, the auto industry was slow to catch on.
     The rear mainshaft bearing on a LR box has been metric since the
    fifties, the front layshaft bearing was changed to metric around 1964,
    even though Whitworth threads were still in use.

    Regards
     Bill Leacock