[lro] Vacuum Pump/Braking system

From: Patrick Parsons (patrickparsons@hawaii.rr.com)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 05:01:52 EST

    On a diesel, the supplementary vacuum pump is just to provide suction for
    the brake booster, right? (Correct me if that's just a dumb assumption)

    If one didn't have a vacuum pump, or couldn't rig one, how hard would it be
    to go to an "Air-over-hydraulic" system?

    My unimog doesn't have a vacuum pump. It has an engine driven compressor
    that fills a reservoir which has a pipe leading to a device which provides
    the assist for braking.

    The master cylinder itself is just a simple master cylinder directly acted
    upon by the pedal. Fluid goes back to this larger device (I don't know what
    it is called) that I suppose is "pressurized" rather than "vacuumed" and
    then on to the four brake cylinders themselves.

    I suppose a crafty person with on-board air can adapt this type of system to
    their diesel-powered LR? Is there an inherent drawback to air-brakes over
    vacuum-assist brakes?

    Just curious...

    --pat.