Re: [lro] Transfer case. Again.

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 15:16:27 EST

    > J.L You are truly a LandRover man. Having spent too many hours over the
    years
    > lying in the snow under a lanny could I offer a suggestion. I use a large
    tarp
    > over the vehicle (old pool cover) with rocks around the edge to hold it
    down and
    > broom sticks to hold it up where I need to. I use my Coleman light for
    > illumination and heat. Gets cosy eventually and beats having swollen and
    frozen
    > fingers. Use two or three tuques on your head and your fingers will not
    get as
    > cold.(yep, you read that right)
    > Dave

    Dave,

    thanks or the compliment, I think it's a sign of being bitten when you don't
    even bother getting too excited when parts fail. I've gotten to the point
    where I just go - damn - and start figuring out what to do. Being french
    canadian, in my first year of ownership, I got tremendous practice at using
    my arsenal of colourful language.

    I had a car parked next to the truck, blocking the wind, and a propane "pig"
    construction heater next to the truck, blowing underneath - That monster
    went through a barbecue tank in about five hours! The tools were in front of
    the heater, so they would stay warm. I had enough clothes on to severely
    restrict movement, to the point where my neigbours seemed to think it was
    quite humorous. I did indeed have two tuques, seven layers of upper body
    clothing, and four layers under my jeans. Getting in and out from under the
    truck was quite a challenge! The main problem wasn't the ambient air, but
    the steel bolts and assemblies which stuck to my fingers like glue. This
    morning, my fingers are shiny and smooth, I probably wouldn't leave any
    fingerprints anywhere!

    J-L