Re: [lro] Transfer case. Again.

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 13:44:53 EST

    > Another part for the "parts-destruction-engineering-method-test-bin"...
    >
    > Time for an Atlas double kick-down 800Nm Superheterodyne Transfer case?
    >
    > ;-)

    Actually, I'm kinda surprised it failed. The rover T case is very heavy duty
    and a lot of people told me it would hold up to lots of power. It's not like
    the I6 is a super powerful motor anyways, it's got a lot of low end, but
    it's definitely not a "hot" motor.

    I'm in the house right now having a bowl of soup and warming my extremities
    up. It's a beautiful day, bright sunshine, however it's about -25 degrees
    celsius and this morning it was even colder. I'm stuck doing the work
    outside, so I've got a propane construction heater aimed under the truck and
    I have to warm my hands after removing every bolt. It's not super
    comfortable, however it's better than no heater. I've managed to remove the
    old transfer case in about an hour, which is a lot less than I originally
    thought.

    I've been looking over the parts and I'm still baffled as to why they
    failed. Gears, after being in use for thirty years, will eventually break,
    and I think that this one may have failed this way. This combined with the
    super thick gear oil (same consistency as uncured JB weld) may have combined
    to make a heck of a mess.

    The only thing better than Land-Rovers is Land-Rover owners. In the past
    three weeks, two local LROs have saved my bacon by offering up transfer case
    parts, and the best part, no charge. Yesterday, it took about five minutes
    to find a transfer case. I pulled the pan off the old one, verified that it
    was indeed the T case, and then sent out an e mail. Within minutes I had a
    reply, stating that I could pick up the parts that night. Try that with any
    other vehicle!

    Again, thank you Kevin Willey and Martin Bagshaw!

    J-L