[lro] end float

From: William J. Rice (jarvis64@juno.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 23:23:04 EST

    Yet another question in bill's tranny saga:
    I can't get the end float right for the 2nd/3rd gear distance sleeve.
    The gears' float on the shaft is just peachy, but even with the thickest
    (.135) thrust washers on both ends the end float still ends up being
    .012, which is a bit over the manual-specified max spec. of .008.

    Should I worry about this and start using a micrometer on the sleeves to
    see if they're short somehow (RN actually told me that there have been a
    few production issues w/ these . . .) or should I just figure it doesn't
    matter.

    Those sleeves are TIGHT on the mainshaft (as in, I spend several minutes
    drifting them on), so I can't see how their end float will matter much
    for a long, long time.

    bill