Re: [lro] Diesel Swap (was Forward control question)

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 12:58:59 EST

    > Jean-Leon, I looked back over some of your posts from a year ago and I
    > see the Cummins 3.9BTA and 3.4-6AT. RPM was the problem with the 3.9BTA
    and
    > parts availability/price (as well as finding an engine) was the problem
    with
    > the 3.4-6AT. What is the Cummins 3.9BTA? How does it differ from the 4
    > cylinder ISB? Have you found a way to deal with the gearing to solve the
    > RPM problem? Are you relying on tire diameter to deal with the problem?

    The 3.4AT I'm no longer considering due to the fact that they are impossible
    to find in Canada. It sounds like a great engine for a Land-Rover but parts
    are just absolutely ridiculous. The 3.9 is a 4 cyl, B series (same design as
    a 5.9B but missing 2 cyls) however it revs to 2200 rpms only. To run such an
    engine you'd need an overdrive and 3.54 diffs, setup similar to a Perkins
    converted Rangie in the UK. However, anything 10 spline or 4 cyl would
    explode behind this motor except the transfer case. You'd be looking at a
    total drivetrain replacement.

    J-L