Re: [lro] Diesel Swap (was Forward control question)

From: Robert S. Cascaddan (scaddan@pacifier.com)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 22:53:22 EST

        Jean-Leon, I looked back over some of your posts from a year ago and I
    see the Cummins 3.9BTA and 3.4-6AT. RPM was the problem with the 3.9BTA and
    parts availability/price (as well as finding an engine) was the problem with
    the 3.4-6AT. What is the Cummins 3.9BTA? How does it differ from the 4
    cylinder ISB? Have you found a way to deal with the gearing to solve the
    RPM problem? Are you relying on tire diameter to deal with the problem?
        Also, I notice in the old posts that C. Marin Faure mentioned the
    possibility of swapping in a Land Rover Tdi Diesel. Land Rover Owner
    International in a recent issue made it sound like is was a semi-bolt-in
    operation. On the other hand, East Coast Rover will not put a 300 Tdi in a
    Series Land-Rover unless it has been converted to a coiler. They say the
    Series axles and gearbox are not strong enough. They use the transmission
    from the Defender for the swap and they claim it requires a great deal of
    custom work to get the engine to fit. Does anybody know anything about this
    swap?

    Robert S. Cascaddan, MBA
    scaddan@pacifier.com

    Author of:
    Revolutionary Changes Ahead for Motorcycling
    http://home.pacifier.com/~scaddan/

    Articles:
    "Disruptive Technology = Revolutionary Changes"
    http://home.pacifier.com/~scaddan/disruptive.htm

    "Attracting a New Generation of Riders to the Sport of Motorcycling"
    http://home.pacifier.com/~scaddan/new_riders.htm