Re: [lro] Diesel Swap (was Forward control question)

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 22:24:03 EST

    > I am sure many of you remember that I have asked about Diesel swaps
    before.
    > I am really curious, Jean-Leon, what you are planning. It wouldn't, by
    > chance, be a 4-cylinder Cummins ISB, would it? I will admit I've looked
    at
    > it myself, and wondered if there is any way. I think I would want to stay
    > with leaf springs, however, to maintain the load and towing capacity.

    What I'm planning? Well, more like dreaming, actually.

    The Cummins "B" line is not very well suited for an automotive application.
    Low redlines, high vibrations and monstrous and brutal torque are some of
    the downsides, but they are available and relatively cheap; However, they
    need massive overdrive to return decent mileage. Then again, most diesels
    are in this spectrum, and that's pretty much the nature of the beast. The
    Cummins 3.9L 4 (B series, same as the Dodge 6) is a possible swap in a
    Land-Rover but it's a very grunty, industrial type engine. I am willing to
    bet that the Land-Rover is the vehicle which has had the most types of
    engines swapped in ever, so chances are almost everything's been done. I've
    heard of Deutz, Detroit, Cummins, Isuzu, Ford, Perkins, etc. The list goes
    on!

    One nice swap that would be fairly easily done is the Isuzu 4BD1, used in
    Perentie and Stage Ones for the Aussie market, a nice, high revving diesel
    with oodles of torque, which is common in Canada and the States in Isuzu NPR
    trucks and GMC Forward vans, which are about 1 1/2 ton size. Kinda like a
    big cube van. Great engine, comes with a neat 5 speed with low 1st, and
    would be pretty easy to do. A little heavy, but manageable for a LWB. I
    think the tranny's length would be prohibitive for a SWB.

    I've been dreaming of diesels for the past two years and think I've
    investigated almost every possible engine that I could stuff under the
    rover's bonnet. All have their drawbacks and problems, and, other than a
    rover 2.5L NA, all require major vehicle modifications. I've changed my mind
    about a dozen times, after speaking with different people, dreaming up
    different combinations, and doing some legwork with rebuilders and machine
    shops. Currntly I'm down to the Isuzu, which is rare and expensive, the
    Cummins 5.9 B series, which *just* fits the modified underhood of my L-R and
    which isn't all that great because it really is too big, however it would be
    a plus for pulling a trailer and is very common in wrecked Dodges, the
    Nissan SD33-T, which bolts to my current tranny, is relatively cheap, big,
    old, antiquated, and very slow, and this last engine, which I won't mention
    for fear of ridicule because it's... well... ridiculous. However this
    particular one has been pulled from it's past set of wheels after 800 000
    kms of service, with perfect oil pressure, excellent compression and a fresh
    turbo.

    Anyways, leaf springs are in no way a bad thing when it comes to diesel
    conversions. I'm very glad I kept the leaves as I can easily address
    increases in weight by the addition of a few leaves. My current 8 leaf
    fronts could be bumped up to 11-12 if need be to handle a heavier engine and
    tranny. Easily done, and cheap, too. Changing coils would be a royal pain,
    especially when you are trying to guess front axle weight. Leaves are the
    cheapest adjustable spring rate suspension!

    J-L