[lro] Jim's tranny and mine--2/3 bush help.

From: William J. Rice (jarvis64@juno.com)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 20:17:46 EST

    On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 08:57:25 -0500 William L Leacock <roverbilly@juno.com>
    writes:
    .
    > While you are in there fixing the gears, fit a new 2nd/3rd gear
    > bearing
    > bush at the same time.

    Fitting these parts new to a new mainshaft is a giant PITA--it's a tight
    fit, and the manual of course wants you to take them on and off about 18
    times in the process of checking for proper end float.

    I'm now at the point at which I'm realizing that I have just-right end
    float for the gears, but way too much for the bush (.028--spec is .001 to
    .008!), and am wondering what to do. I can eat up .010 of that by
    fitting thicker 2nd and 3rd thrust washers, but that'll still leave me w/
    .018! I ground down the ends of the 2/3 distance piece in order to make
    the gear end float right and now find that it's too short to make the
    distance piece end float right . . . arrgh.

    Jim--sorry to have caused this to your tranny.

     bill