RE: Observation on the Emerald City was [lro] Paging Pete Hope

From: Tackley, John (jtackley@dit.state.va.us)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 08:19:23 EST

    ...very clever and funny, Frank.
    ...why is it called frogland?...(is it the French propensity for serving frog's legs...which I really like, BTW...(OH, I guess that explains a lot!)
    There may indeed be some Scot in me, but I think I should skip the kilt, don't you?
    ;>0

    JT/ric

    Reverend Frank opined:

    Well now, before Waterloo, when Nappies lot were winning, it was the
    practice for captured officers to offer their parole and live in places like
    Le Touquet, Lyons and even Paris if they had enough money as virtually free
    men.
     Some of 'em got to enjoy the society life in frogland so much that they
    stayed over there after the war, married and intermarried so your 100 per
    cent French line could have some Scot in it quite easily.
     How did they end up in Tackley? Took a ferry...

    But, years before that, Bonnie Prince Charlie and his lot were offered
    sanctuary by the French ('cos anything that helped screw the Brits was fair
    game) and a lot of that lot married into French families...