Re: [lro] Low range (really long)

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 12:20:33 EST

    > It's reassuring to read these comments, as I have my chev
    > 250, sm465, and series tc (not sure how this is going to
    > mate up yet) and salisbury/rover(front) 3.54's ready for my
    > 109. My 1st gear low range final drive will be 54.4 to 1.
    > On the upper end I should be able to maintain 70 below 3000
    > rpm. 60mph will be something like 2500 rpm. It's just a lot
    > of time and money away from completion.

    - Excellent! You are going to love this combo. I think this is probably the
    BEST repower option for a rover with commonly available parts. You will love
    the power and torque of the inline six, and the 3.54's aren't really a
    problem, you won't miss the 4.7's a bit. If I were to do things again I'd
    have used a chevy 250 because it would have been easier to swap to a diesel
    eventually. The reason for diesel power is simple - cheaper on fuel (however
    the economy is debatable due to the high cost of the conversion) and
    reliabilty. I have no issues with the driveability of the engine, and the
    fuel economy is horrible because of the driver and the truck (big, tall and
    heavy), not the engine.

    Your fuel mileage will probably be almost identical to the 2.25L at the same
    speed.

    What are you doing for brakes? You're going to need it ;-)

    J-L