Re: [lro] Is it a good idea to fit a Tdi200 on a series IIA ? do I have to do any changes in the rest of the drive chain ???

From: William J. Rice (jarvis64@juno.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 08:58:47 EST

    On 31 Jan 2003 09:35:09 +0000 Ian Stuart <Ian.Stuart@ed.ac.uk> writes:
    > I suspect that the bellhousing uses a different bolt-pattern, so you
    > may
    > need am adapter-plate.

    Though I've not done this, I've researched doing it a fair amount and my
    "armchair warrior" knowledge on the topic indicates that this is not
    true. The 200TDi uses the same bellhousing shape and stud pattern, with
    the only difference being metric studs, which require reaming out the
    SIIA tranny holes a tad. Engine mounts (again, my [in]experience
    speaking) are the same too.

    and the
    > radiator/intercooler for the engine too...

    This, I gather, is where things do get sticky. I gathered that one
    should get a used TDi out of a DEFENDER, not a disco, since all this
    plumbing is different on those two vehicles and the defender version is
    much easier to plumb into a series. I think that this just comes down to
    some good old Yankee (or Israeli) ingenuity and a bit of fabricating
    skill--probably making new radiator mounts and figuring out where all the
    hoses go?

    As for vehicle value considerations, unless it's a museum piece, I say do
    the swap--if it's well done I can't see it hurting the value much, but I
    can see it increasing the value.

    One other consideration that comes to mind is changing the fuel tank,
    either by swapping in a diesel one or by fitting an electric in-tank pump
    to the tank you've got.

    Hope that was all helpful 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hand knowledge.

    bill