Re: [lro] Islands; was Birma-bashing

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 20:56:56 EST

    Don't know what the problem is on growing coffee up
    there. My cousin in BC has a coffee plant that he's
    had for a number of years. It grew spindly and rather
    sickly. Told him to cut it off at about two feet and
    it came back nice and bushy. Think we are talking 10
    years on this bush and he still hasn't seen his first
    bean. Think growing problem is probably a combination
    of low humidity and short winter days. Possibly
    putting the tree in a dry cleaning bag and spritzing
    it regularly to keep the moisture up. Also adding a
    filtered grow light to give at least 12 hours of
    daylight might help. Watch out for the narc's,
    however. Hear they monitor grow light sales. Coffee
    naturally grows best with a lot of rain (40"-80"
    annually), humidity and cloud cover for part of the
    day, and temperatures never below 50 degrees.

    Are you talking won't sprout or grow poorly. Medium
    roasted beans sprout the best. Decaf beans are still
    a ways away but are in the laboratory, now. Actually,
    any green, unroasted coffee should sprout but it takes
    months for them to get motivate. They are very slow
    sprouters.

    Nice of you to feed the eagles.

    Aloha
    Peter O.