Re: [lro] Low range (really long)

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 14:37:55 EST

    > I have found 70:1 to be too low for most applications and have never
    > needed anything lower. Because of the torque multiplication I only use
    > the hand throttle in that gear. Just the slightest foot movement
    > brings on a strong jerk.

    Similar setup in mine, except I have the rangie axles and diffs that raise
    things a bit, and the 900R16s. That gives me about 50 to 1, and that's
    plenty enough for most stuff, especially given the low idle and low end
    torque of the six cylinder. Almost undriveable due to the torque surge on
    flat ground, but will putter through anything at idle.

    I remember my crawl being in the 70-1 range with Suffix A T case and 4.7s
    and it was pretty much useless. I was often in 4th on the trail, having ot
    rev my engine a lot to keep up with series rigs (between hard obstacles).

    One of the reason you see extremely large gear reductions is that most other
    brands are usually seen rock crawling with 35"or larger tires and usually
    need the extra gear reduction to keep these meats moving. However, most
    competition rock crawlers have 80 or 90-1 and seem content with this.

    I'd personally HATE to have anything below 60-70 to 1. I use my rover for
    pulling cars out of the ditch, for pulling stuff around the lot at work, and
    probably next year for plowing. Having to deal with a reverse gear that's
    even SLOWER would be a royal pain. Sure, it would be great for trying that
    really hard obstacle twice a year, but the rest of the time it would be a
    liability.

    J-L