Re: [lro] Defender Axels - is it ok to weld the exel and the dive flange

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 16:59:35 EST

    >Dear friend, I have a little question
    >
    >Is it ok to weld the in the back Axel the rotating part (I dont have a
    >clue how it is called in English ,the part that connects the differential
    >and the dive flange) to the drive flange, so it is more like the way it
    >is in the D90 and the discovery.

    You are talking about the axle shaft -- a splined shaft that runs
    from the diff to the wheel. I suppose you could weld the shaft to
    the driven flange. I can't imagine why you'd want to, though. The
    axle shafts in series axles are known for breaking, and if you welded
    them together, you would have to replace both the driven flange and
    the axle shaft when (not if, when) the shaft broke. If the splines
    on the driven flange are worn, replacement flanges are readily
    available, and cheap.

    David