Re: [lro] how bad did I goof? poured in diesel...

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Tue Jan 28 2003 - 22:25:14 EST

    > > Do you think that's the cause of the grey smoke when I
    > > shift or give it gas?
    > > Coolant level checked out OK...
    >
    > Yes, i'd suspect - think of it as burning oil.
    >
    > Your own private aerobatic smoke generator....8*)

    You picked the right engine to do it in.

    Anything else and you might have a problem. However I know of several people
    who have burned everything from straight coleman camp fuel (including
    myself), to year old gas sucked out of the motorboat, in Landies with no ill
    effects. I think your best bet is, as was said, to try and top off the tank
    with high test and keep driving it. I would also recommend perhaps trying to
    go through this tank quickly as operating the vehicle on short distances
    with a bit of diesel in the tank might contribute to some carbon deposits.
    In other words, take it for a long, long drive, and fill it up with fresh
    gas on the way home.

    J-L