Re: [lro] Bellhousing Bolt Pattern

From: MarkoNTL (marko.cosic@ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue Jan 28 2003 - 17:02:36 EST

    Stirling Anderson wrote:

    > I've gotta ask... I couldn't really find anything that
    > said it: What's aftercooled? Is that something
    > similar to intercooled?? Hope I'm not wasting
    > bandwidth with a stupid question.

    Aftercooling - cooling intake charge after it has been compressed.
    Intercooling - cooling intake charge *between* compression stages. On an
    engine with a supercharger and turbocharger, the turbo taking ambient air,
    feeding it into the supercharger, and the supercharger feeding it into the
    engine, the intercooler would intercool air between the compression stages,
    and the aftercooler would cool intake charge after the supercharger just
    before it gets to the engine.

    "Aftercooled" is the technically correct term, but "intercooled" is what
    everybody seems to use.