Re: [lro] dmv woes (kinda long)

From: Stephen West-Fisher (steve@coastaldatasystems.com)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 09:15:50 EST

    Rick Grant wrote:

    > My first instinct in cases like this where an official is having to make
    > a decision based on their own initiative is to try another official.
    >
    > I don't know if you have other registration offices that are handy but
    > if you do then head over to one and try again, this time saying
    > nothing. If that isn't feasible, then see if you can get into a lineup
    > with a different official or wait until the one you dealt with is out
    > for coffee.
    >
    > Failing that, I like the ideas you received from others to hammer your
    > own numbers into the frame. But that does seem like a lot of work so I
    > would suggest going to one of those places in most malls that sell cheap
    > plaques and tankards and such and which offer to do engraving. Have one
    > of them engrave your numbers on a piece of brass or whatever they use
    > and then pop rivet it somewhere on the frame. It doesn't matter where
    > because the licensing people won't have a clue where it is supposed to
    > be. As an added, and possibly necessary, touch for verisimilitude, coat
    > it well with grease and muck.

    At the DMV here in Florida, the cop came out of the office to look at the
    truck (with new galvanized frame) and I pointed to the plate on the
    firewall.
    He wrote down the serial number and was happy. You don't think they
    crawl around on the ground to look at the VIN on the frame in newer cars
    do you? Nope, they just look at the plate on the dash or the door jamb.

    --
    Stephen West-Fisher
    Coastal Data Systems