Re: [lro] Failing to engage 4wheel Hi

From: Rick Grant (rickgrant@telus.net)
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 17:17:14 EST

    Problem solved, and it was as a result of a SCOT (Stupid Current Owner Trick)

    First off, thanks to ajr and William Leacock. I followed your advice; used
    the hammer; cleaned stuff, and while the problem didn't lie with the
    selector shaft I learned a lot about that end of the gearbox system which
    is all to the good.

    The problem was caused by the spring on the shaft holding the yellow
    knob. A few weeks ago I took it into my head that the existing spring
    wasn't snapping the knob up with what I thought was sufficient force. So,
    I slipped a piece of tubing about two inches long onto the shaft to
    compress the spring more.

    There was just enough clearance when pushing the knob down for part of the
    mechanism to engage and give the illusion of engaging four wheel
    hi. Because I hadn't been in a true four wheel situation I hadn't noticed
    that the front wheels weren't in the game.

    I found the problem after I had removed the knob and spring while watching
    the linkage move. Back on with the original spring, minus the spacer, and
    everything worked just fine.

    I did take the opportunity to remove that light metal cover and have a go
    at cleaning things inside as per instructions just in case.

                                              Rick Grant
                                            1959 SII 88"
                                            VORIZO

    Calgary Alberta