[lro] the plot thickens

From: William J. Rice (jarvis64@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 23:40:12 EST

    Well, I finally got the mainshaft out, with the aid of a fairly large
    sledge hammer.

    And it looks like the mainshaft's knackered. The splines at the rear of
    it are all worn on one side, probably by about 1/72" all around. Sooo, I
    reckon I should do the prudent thing and replace it.

    And the gears on this box (out of a parts truck that was apparently
    drowned in salt water shortly before being parked for years) are all
    somewhat pitted and I"m thinking about replacing some of them. So I'll
    call Blanchard's tomorrow and see what the damages will be if I replace
    2nd and 3rd gears and the mainshaft and the brass distance sleeve and the
    locating pins and the thrust washers . . .

    thanks for all the morale support, y'all.

    bill