Re: [lro] Fuel Contamination

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 14:37:44 EST

    Unless there is a water separator in the fuel filter
    system, water will pass through the filter and on into
    the fuel delivery components. This is a big problem
    as the little itty bitty parts don't like corrosion,
    one bit. You might want to add a water separator
    filter to the beast, if it doesn't already have one.
    Racor, for one, makes nice water separator filters.

    Your problem sounds like restricted fuel flow,
    however. Dirty fuel or a rusty tank can clog up a
    filter right now. I'd change the filter and see if
    that solves the problem. Also checking that there is
    nothing obstructing the fuel flow might be a good
    idea. The fuel pick-ups in the tank are notorious for
    becoming clogged. Also, put in a Biocide. Little
    critters grow in diesel and, over time, can build up
    quite a bunch of gunk in the tank. My Mercedes has
    about a quarter tank of crap in it because the PO
    didn't use a Biocide. Unfortunately, will have to R&R
    the tank to clean it out.

    Aloha
    Peter O.