[lro] Valdez lives.

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 20:46:10 EST

    The graft was successful. The seven dollar transfer case repair is over!

    A big thank you to Martin Bagshaw, who gave me a neat old suffix A box to
    use as a parts donor. I dropped off Valdez at work last night (heated
    multiple bay garage with lots of toys) and washed all the muck off the
    engine and tranny, this morning everything was clean and shiny and I got to
    do the repairs in a t shirt.

    I ended up having to jack the tranny up about 4" inside the chassis to get
    the necessary clearance, however the job still felt like replacing spark
    plugs through the tailpipe. Cramped, and quite difficult. I ended up using
    the front nose casting only on the donor box, the bearing and guts came from
    the old one, which were in excellent shape. Only costs incurred were 7$ for
    bulk gear oil and some nuts and bolts. Wish every repair was that cheap.
    However, the seven hours of labour was something else. Knowing that it would
    have been such a bear, I would have swapped out the entire T case in one
    shot. Would have been simpler and a lot easier on the knuckles.

    Anyways, the thing works OK now, however I am having a bit of an issue with
    the high range - 4wd engagement, but the problem seems to be going away
    slowly as everything gets properly coated in gear oil by driving the thing.

    I have four wheel drive again!

    J-L