[lro] Re: Boston/NE area- anyone got a junk right SIII wing?

From: C. Marin Faure (cmfaure@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 02:06:24 EST

    From: Stephen West-Fisher <steve@coastaldatasystems.com>
    To: lro@koan.team.net
    Subject: Re: [lro] Boston/NE area - anyone got a junk right SIII wing?

    Alan J. Richer wrote:
    >> Not to
    > disparage Marin's approach (it sounds quite handsome in its
    > implementation), but the thought of spending $$$$ on
    > aircraft-rated components for a Rover wing gives me chills.

    >The Cessna hinge Marin
    mentioned, and the flush spring button release both of us mentioned are
    also probably available from non-aircraft suppliers.

    There's nothing magic about the fact that the parts I used were from
    airplanes. I wanted an aluminum hinge to avoid rust problems (I was living
    in Hawaii at the time), and since I was doing a lot of flying, I knew the
    piano hinges used for oil doors and other such access panels on airplanes
    were made of aluminum, and they were ideally sized for the application I
    had in mind. Plus I had ready access to parts like this. As to the flush,
    push-to-release latch, one of the planes I was flying at the time was in
    fact a Citabria. So when I decided to butcher my pristine Land Rover wing
    and cut a clutch master access hatch, it was natural to think in terms of
    the latches I was already familiar with. The Cessna 206 I was also flying
    used Dzus fasteners, which have sharp finger latches that stick up. The
    Citabria used the flush latch. So I ordered one.

    But I'm sure there are an almost infinite variety of hinge and latch
    combinations that would work that have nothing to do with the aircraft
    industry. I would recommend going with an aluminum hinge because of the
    rust issue. Brass would work too, I guess, but you might not like the look
    of it against the rest of the wing. I used aluminum rivets to hold the
    hardware to the wing and the opening panel.

    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE