Re: [lro] special tool

From: Ian Stuart (Ian.Stuart@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 05:46:59 EST

    On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 11:35, William J. Rice wrote:

    > Hey folks,
    > Does anyone in the Northeast have the special socket for the rear tranny
    > mainshaft nut that they'd be willing to mail to me for a week or two (and
    > 10 min. of actual use somewhere in there)?
    >
    > Something deep inside me revolts at the thought of spending $50 on a
    > socket, so perhaps I can take advantage of the fact that one of you did.
    If I remember right, it's a castlated nut...

    If you remove the top plate on the transfer box, and the rear housing
    (where the overdrive sits), you can open the tab on the locking washer,
    and then use a drift to undo the nut.

    I use an old pushrod, with the ball-end cut off. it only needs a couple
    of sharp taps to break the grip and then you can unthread it by hand...

    --
    --==++
    Ian Stuart: Edinburgh University Data Library.

    Information is not knowledge Knowledge is not wisdom Wisdom is not truth Truth is not beauty Beauty is not love Love is not music -- Mary.