Re: [lro] Turn signal assembly

From: S. Vels (sv@io.dk)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 06:33:51 EST

    Alan J. Richer wrote:

    >--- Paul Schultz <pschultz@vcmails.com> wrote:
    > Any alternatives or fixes?
    >

    >Replace it. From the sound of things that assembly is the
    >hosrt of a lot of your problems - and if the plastic is
    >getting that tired I think maybe it's time for it to
    >go.....

    Anything can be fixed. I remember a very hot summer afternoon where i
    patiently repaired a spring contact in this assembly.
    I managed to drill out the hole in the 3 or 4 tiny blades and reassemble
    on the plasitc console with a little bolt and a couple of nuts. It has
    worked fine for the last six years or so.

    Paul Schultz wrote:

    > I was looking at my turn signal assembly. It is the Series III type with the
    > horn, turn signal, bright lightss all together. When I make a turn, my turn
    > indicator won't self cancel upon completion of the turn. I discovered a
    > small raised piece of metal on the steering column. It appears this cancels
    > the turn indicator. However, this is located at the 9 o'clock position and I
    > had to turn my steering wheel WAY over to get it to cancel the turn signal.
    > Is this the right location for this raised metal? If not how do I
    > reposition?...remove the steering and rotate?

    Remove the steering wheel. You should then be able to lift the cylinder with the raise over the column and turn it 180 degrees. The two spikes on top of it fits in two holes in the back of the steering wheel.
    If neither of these two positions cancels at resonable and even positions, the whole steering linkage may be misaligned. The rod from the housing to the relay can be extended/retracted and the steering rod from the relay to the wheel should then be adjusted to compensate.
    An uneven cancelling of signals can be an indication of the steering wearing out away from center position in the housing and/or the relay, which can later result in two diffrent "feels" from sharp left to sharp right (stubborn to turn in one direction and eager to turn in the other directon).

    My canceling bits on the console was always gone on the left side. I just turn it off manually. It's a habit and i do it without thinking about it.

    rgds
    sv/aurens