Re: [lro] Headlights out

From: Ian Stuart (Ian.Stuart@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 05:40:19 EST

    On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 20:45, Paul Schultz wrote:

    > I'm waiting until warm weather so that I can really tackle the tangle of
    > wires behind my instrument cluster. What a mess! I plan on running the
    > instrument cluster wiring thru a large connector so that when I want to
    > remove the instrument panel I can just unclip the connector and pull it out.
    > Any thoughts on this approach?
    Don't go there... tried it: it was a disaster!

    So many (reletively thick) cables means either one massive connector, or
    several smaller ones. Either way, you need lots of extra cable to allow
    the connectors to lie sideways, and slightly below, the two main gauges,
    which means even more physical cable in there...

    It you *do* decide to do it, number *every* core as you do it - and
    write up a chart identifying them. It makes fault-finding a bit easier.

    Oh, and make sure that the connectors will take the amperage required
    (ie main beam: 2x60 watts: i = p/v => (2x60)/12 => 10 [amps!] )

    --
    --==++
    Ian Stuart: Edinburgh University Data Library.

    Information is not knowledge Knowledge is not wisdom Wisdom is not truth Truth is not beauty Beauty is not love Love is not music -- Mary.