[lro] Clutch access panel (was Problem shifting)

From: Faure, Marin (marin.faure@boeing.com)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 15:43:06 EST

    > --- Jean-Leon Morin <offroaddesign@softhome.net> wrote:

    >>Alan J. Richer wrote:
    >> As a matter of fact, now that Mr. C is getting boosted
    > brakes he's also going to get the hatch modification. If I
    > have to cut and flange the wing anyway I may as well put in
    > the hatch.

    >And a flush release button?

    Back in the late 1970s after removing the wing twice to rebuild
    and replace the master clutch cylinder, I decided enough was
    enough. So I cut a panel from the top of the left wing and
    hinged the front edge with an aluminum
    hinge from a Cessna oil door. For a latch, I used the flush,
    spring-loaded, push-to-release latch that's used on the
    oil inspection panel on a Citabria cowling. Cessnas use
    Dzus (sp?) fasteners, which have a blade that sticks up that
    you twist to unlock the fastener, and I didn't want
    these sticking up from the Land Rover's front wing. The Citabria
    was the only plane that I was familiar with at the time that used a flush
    latch. Another possibility is to get hold of one of the flush, push-to-
    release latches that are used on Boeing (and other mfgs) planes to
    access oil doors, refueling panels, etc. However, these latches may
    be too big for practical use on a Series access hatch. The nice thing
    about the Citabria latch is its size. It's only two or three inches long,
    but it has a very powerful and very positive latching action.

    Anyhow, this panel has more than earned its keep, as it makes
    it a snap to access, remove, and replace the clutch master. Not
    as easy as on right-hand-drive Series, but pretty close.