Re: [lro] Oil or Grease or...

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 16:59:39 EST

    > > Posed: How does ATF differ from regular ol' gear oil? Are there
    > > applications where they are equivalent? Is this guy so high on crack he
    > > can't tell the difference?

    Saab transmissions and other newer models are designed for ATF, not gear
    oil. I'm almost positive that they are not interchangeable. ATF has very
    different properties than gear oil. I once heard that the switch was made to
    keep the trannies shiftable during cold weather operation. I know my 4 speed
    is almost unusable at below 30 degrees celsius, with gear oil in it. I
    suspect that the smaller gears and lighter duty synchros in a fwd tranny are
    better suited to ATF. For the transmission, you could probably substitute
    for ATF without too many troubles. However, for driveline, a number of
    problems appear.

    Well, for one, it's a lot thinner. That's bad on a Land-Rover. Already is
    your gear oil pouring out of every single seal and gasket on the vehicle,
    why would you want to increase the leakage rates?

    Does this guy put the stuff in diffs? Hypoid gears exert tremendous friction
    loads on themselves, and gear oil is designed for this. I have serious
    doubts that ATF would be able to withstand these great loads without
    increasing wear on everything.

    And if this guy is putting ATF in coiler swivels, he's nuts. There's a CV
    joint in there, which usually calls for CV joint grease, or that special
    miracle lube from rover. I personally run a mix of CV joint grease, 90wt,
    and water ;-) I doubt straight up ATF can lubricate everything properly
    without leaking out instantaneously.

    I seriously doubt that you can switch that easily. If ATF had the very same
    properties as far as lubricity, a 2002 TD5 would have the stuff in every
    single box.

    Sounds like total BS to me. Then again, I'm also a "Kind of" mechanic ;-)

    J-L