[lro] Oil or Grease or...

From: Todd Schlemmer (nullman@centurytel.net)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 15:24:25 EST

    Today I was chatting with a guy here who is a kind of a mechanic - but not
    my kind. He fancies himself a Saab Whisperer and knows enough about Land
    Rovers to be dangerous. He confided in me that since he's never had to
    rebuild a certain Saab transmission and it attendant overdrive, AND since it
    uses ATF in lieu of 90W, ATF was the superior fluid for use in Land/Range
    Rover swivels. He's certainly done waaaaaay more meckanikking than I ever
    will, but this seems like simple-minded logic to me. He's been doing this
    for years, he claims. Like forever. He does this for his customers /
    clients / victims.

    Posed: How does ATF differ from regular ol' gear oil? Are there
    applications where they are equivalent? Is this guy so high on crack he
    can't tell the difference?

    questions for LR erudite...

    Todd Schlemmer
    Vashon Island, WA